Sunday, September 25, 2011

What you are not told.

Well, here I am on day 2 post -op. This day has been much worse than yesterday! I know several people are waiting to hear about my experience so I will try by starting at the beginning and yes, I do have some pics (thanks to Philip).

Friday September 23, 2011 - We arrived at the hospital, Nuclear Medicine Department for the Lymphoscintigram to start roughly at 8 AM. The Nuclear Med tech came into the waiting room explaining to her best ability the procedure. One of the very first things she said "this is going to hurt like hell". I think I heard that 10 times before the actual procedure! So immediately I start feeling very anxious and the tears start to fill my eyes as I was in the dressing room removing my clothing to put on a gown and hospital pants for the procedure. I bravely walked out and sat next to Philip as he gently stroked my hand and reassured me everything was going to be OK. "Sarah" another technician came in the waiting room to walk me down the long dark hallway to what would be "my" room for the next 2 + hours. She too, went over the procedure and said the Radiologist Dr. S would be in momentarily to inject the 4 "radiotracers" around the original mole excision site. (North, South, East and West of the lesion). Once he arrived he apologized in advance numerous times before starting the procedure. All I can say is there is no description or nothing I could possibly compare the pain to. I immediately burst into tears with the first injection. As Dr. S finished the first injection and prepared for the second one he apologized again. He did all 4 rather fast because of the pain involved - no need to drag it along... lets just get it over with! The pain only lasted during the "injection" once the radiotracer was injected the pain would subside. Ok, all four injections were done and Dr. S wished me the best and was on his way. Sarah (Nuclear Med Tech) stayed with me the entire time. She massaged my abdomen trying to get the radiotracers to break up and go where ever they were destined to go. Within 20 minutes I had my first Lymph Node light up, then shortly after that my second; which happened to be right next to the first. During this time images were obtained the entire time and once a node lit up they marked my skin for my surgeon.
When Sarah's surgical marker "hit" my right breast and marked as number 1, I immediately got choked up... my breast?? I knew my surgeon was going to make an incision where the node was and all I could think about was my breast. We had discussed the location most likely being inguinal or axillary - he said nothing about my breast! Everything was suddenly surreal to me. Sarah could tell I was scared and tried her best to keep my mind occupied about other things... we talked about my kids, college and then she gained enough courage to ask how I found out I had melanoma. I feel in my heart my story touched her enough to where she will think twice before exposing her body to the harmful UV tanning bed rays. If I get nothing else from this journey  - just helping 1 person realize the truth in tanning, just 1 person - I will feel I accomplished something.
This is a pic of my actual Lymphoscintigram

Yep, thats part of my right breast marked for surgery.

So, we finished up and I was taken back to the waiting / locker room area where Philip was waiting very patiently. I proceeded to the locker room to change back into my clothes so I could get over to the surgery center by 10 AM for my surgery. As I removed the gown I dropped down to my knees in tears, asking GOD to please give me the strength and courage I needed to get through this. I sobbed uncontrollably but then realized I had to put my brave face on and walk out through those locker room doors and face Philip. He knew it wasn't good... as we walked down the hallway he asked how many nodes lit up, I responded with "2" and he asked where, then I said my damn breast! He's gonna have to cut up my breast. Philip has to be the most calm, reassuring person I have ever meant. "Babe, at least you caught this early - it's going to be fine". Then we entered the surgery center; "Hi, I'm Billie, I have a 10 AM appt for surgery".
Too be continued.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are one of the strongest and most wonderful people I know...prayers go out to you today and everyday.

Hugs- Tracy (mm)

Melanoma Diva said...

Thank you Tracy, you are truly a wonderful person.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. Your courage is inspiring. I am praying for you.

Carrie (MM group)

Post a Comment